Herniated Disc/Disc Injury Treatment In Lincoln, NE
Herniated Disc Specialist
A herniated disc or a ruptured, bulged, or slipped disc, occurs when a disc fragment pushes through the annulus and into the spinal canal. Often, herniated discs are a sign that the discs are degenerating. If you have a herniated disc, you will likely benefit from seeing our chiropractor Dr. Shane Davidson DC, at Lincoln Chiropractic clinic.
Dr. Shane Davidson DC is a specialist in treating Herniated discs and is happy to discuss treatment options. We have a chiropractic care plan for you, whether you have experienced cervical disc herniation or lumbar disc herniation. Give us a call at 402-817-7373.
What Are The Symptoms Of Herniated Disc?
There are a variety of symptoms of a herniated disc, including:
- Severe pain in the lower back
- Pain that radiates to arms or legs
- Numbness or uncomfortable tingling in legs
- Pins and needles in extremities
- Muscle spasms in back or legs
- Muscle weakness or clumsiness
- Sore or stiff neck
- Numbness or tingling in the foot
- Overactive reflexes
Types Of Herniated Disc
There are three types of herniated discs:
- Contained herniation/protrusion – Occurs when the disc nucleus puts outward pressure on the annulus. The disc will protrude or bulge outward from your vertebrae.
- Non-contained herniation/extrusion – This is when the disc nucleus breaks through the annulus. This is also known as a ruptured disc.
- Sequestered herniation – Part of the nucleus breaks through the outside of the disc and becomes entirely separated from the rest of the nucleus.
Causes Of Herniated Disc
According to Herniated disc Doctor in Lincoln, herniated discs have a wide range of causes, most commonly including:
- Disc degeneration – as we age, so do our discs, and they become weaker and more susceptible to damage
- Lifting objects that are beyond our strength capacity can cause a disc to herniate
- A sedentary lifestyle can cause herniation due to lack of joint strength and poor circulation to the discs
- Prolonged sitting may cause herniated discs
Long Term Problems Due To Untreated Herniated Disc
According to Dr. Shane Davidson DC, a herniated disc specialist at Novo Chiropractic Lincoln, it is essential to treat injured discs and not suffer long-term problems. These problems include:
- Chronic pain in back and legs
- Permanent nerve damage
- Loss of sensation in back, legs, and/or neck
- Limited range of motion
- Damage to bowels, bladder, or rectum, leading to incontinence
- Partial paralysis
Temporary Pain Relief
Some temporary home remedies for temporary relief include:
- Alternating ice packs and heating pads on the affected area
- Lie face down with pillows under your hips
- Practice proper posture when sitting, standing, and walking
- Light exercise and stretching
- Over-the-counter NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen
- Avoidance of jerky or twisting motions
- Avoidance of heavy lifting
Does Medical Insurance Cover Herniated Disc?
Most medical insurance providers will cover chiropractic treatment for herniated discs, but it is best to call your provider. They may want to start with non-invasive treatments for minor cases before moving forward with more complex procedures.
Herniated Disc Treatment
If you are wondering how to heal a herniated disc naturally or with external help, there are a variety of options, including:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen
- Prescription painkillers for more severe cases
- Light physical exercise
- Stretching exercises
- Heating pads
- Ice packs
- Avoidance of strenuous activities
- Chiropractic treatment techniques
- Spinal adjustment
- Pelvic Blocking
- Physical Therapy
- Therapeutic ultrasound to shrink collagen fibers
- Epidural steroid injection for pain relief and reduced inflammation
- Spinal surgery
- Artificial disc surgery
- Spinal fusion
How Novo Chiropractic Lincoln Clinic Can Help In Herniated Disc
Novo Chiropractic Lincoln is the top chiropractic clinic in Lincoln for Herniated Disc treatment. Dr. Shane Davidson DC is a highly rated chiropractor in Lincoln and specializes in treating injured discs.
Contact us today if you are experiencing Herniation in Lincoln.