Sciatica Treatment in Lincoln, NE
Chiropractic Care For Sciatica
Is that acute, burning sensation radiating down your back and leg? That’s sciatica, a lumbar radiculopathy caused by nerve compression, and it can make even the simplest tasks feel unbearable. But you don’t have to suffer in silence.
This page is your valuable resource for understanding sciatica and discovering how a Chiropractor in Lincoln can help you find lasting relief from sciatic nerve dysfunction and reclaim your life.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition characterized by persistent pain that stems from the compression of the sciatic nerve, the longest nerve in the body. This nerve originates in the lower back, travels through the hips, and extends down each leg. Sciatica pain arises when the sciatic nerve becomes compressed, irritated, or inflamed, leading to discomfort that can vary from a mild ache to sharp, shooting pain. The pain typically follows the nerve’s pathway, radiating from the lower back through the buttocks and down the leg. Sciatica can also manifest as numbness, tingling, weakness, or difficulty in standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
Symptoms Of Sciatica
Early symptoms of sciatica include:
- Sciatic pain radiating from your lower back down one leg (buttock, thigh, calf, or foot)
- Weakness, numbness, or tingling in the affected leg
- Difficulty bending over or walking
- In severe cases, even changes in bowel or bladder function
Causes Of Sciatica
Causes of sciatica include:
- Herniated discs: When the gel-like center of a disc bulges out, pressing on the sciatic nerve.
- Spinal stenosis: Narrowing of the spinal canal that compresses the nerves, including the sciatic nerve.
- Bone spurs: Bony overgrowths on the vertebrae can irritate the sciatic nerve.
- Piriformis syndrome: Tightness or spasm of the piriformis muscle, located near the nerve, can irritate it.
- Pregnancy: Hormonal changes and weight gain during pregnancy can contribute to sciatica.
How a Chiropractic Can Help?
At Novo Chiropractic, our experienced chiropractors offer a comprehensive approach to sciatic nerve dysfunction. We focus on addressing the root cause of your sciatic pain, not just masking the symptoms. Through chiropractic adjustments and gentle spinal realignment, we can relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve. Additionally, we may incorporate soft tissue therapy to relax muscles, stretches to improve flexibility, and specific exercises to strengthen your core and stabilize your spine.
Unlike invasive surgery or harsh medications, chiropractic care is a drug-free and non-invasive approach to sciatic nerve relief. It allows your body to heal naturally while empowering you to manage your pain through self-care techniques.
Beyond Chiropractic Care: In some cases, we may also recommend:
Physical Therapy: To further strengthen your core and improve flexibility.
Exercise Programs: Tailored to your specific needs to optimize healing and prevent future sciatic nerve pain flare-ups.
Pain Management Strategies: Include ice/heat therapy, acupuncture, or alternative therapies.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sciatica
Recovery time varies, but most patients experience significant improvement within weeks of consistent chiropractic treatment.
With proper treatment and lifestyle modifications, you can significantly reduce the frequency and severity of sciatic nerve pain flare-ups.
Gentle walking can improve circulation and reduce stiffness, but avoid activities that worsen your sciatic pain.