Sciatica Treatment in Lincoln, NE
Sciatica, or sciatic neuralgia, causes radiating pain along the sciatic nerve pathway. Sciatica pain starts in your lower back and branches out through your hips and buttocks and down each leg. According to our chiropractor in Lincoln, NE in Lincoln, sciatica only attacks one side of your body in most cases. Less commonly, the condition is referred to as lumbar radiculopathy. When both legs are affected, the condition is called bilateral sciatica.
If you are suffering from sciatica, contact us today at our Novo Chiropractic Lincoln. Dr. Shane Davidson DC, a leading sciatica specialist, gives you access to some of the highest quality sciatica treatments in Lincoln, NE.
What Are The Symptoms Of Sciatica?
Early symptoms of sciatica include lower back pain that radiates to your legs and/or feet. Other sciatica pain symptoms may include:
- Weakness in either of your legs, feet or lumbar spine
- Numbness or tingling in your lower limbs
- Burning sensation in either or both of your legs
- Pain that intensifies when sitting in certain positions
- Trouble moving your leg or foot
- Recurring pain in one side of the buttocks
- Jolting or shocking sensations in your limbs
- Difficulty standing up from seated position
Causes Of Sciatica
Sciatica is caused when the sciatic nerve becomes pinched by a herniated disc or bone spurs. However, there are other sciatica causes, including:
- Blood clots put pressure on the sciatic nerve
- Obesity, as additional weight, can increase pressure on the spine
- Tumors near the sciatic nerve
- Poor posture
- Piriformis muscle spasms
- Lack of exercise
- Degenerative disc disease
If you suffer from sciatica, you will most likely experience pain in your back, hips, buttocks, and lower extremities. Pain in your posterior thigh and hamstring pain is more common than pain in your lower extremities.
Long Term Problems Due To Untreated Sciatica
Sciatica should not be ignored, as doing so can lead to:
- Permanent nerve damage
- Difficulty with walking
- Chronic, progressive pain
- Muscle atrophy due to lack of use
- Abnormal gait, also known as foot drop
See Dr. Shane Davidson DC at Novo Chiropractic Lincoln clinic in Lincoln if you experience any of the early symptoms of sciatica neuralgia.
Temporary Pain Relief
There are some quick ways to relieve sciatica pain symptoms if you can’t see a doctor right away:
- Piriformis stretch to improve circulation
- Hamstring stretches to prevent tightness
- Alternating heating pads and ice packs
- Light exercise using pain as a guide
Sciatica Treatment In Lincoln, NE
Some sciatica treatment options include:
- Ice packs and heat pads keep a log of changes and improvements
- NSAIDs such as ibuprofen and aspirin help in pain relief. Analgesic medications also help. Muscle relaxers can also be used to prevent tightening.
- Steroids and prescription nerve pain medication
- Light aerobic exercise, maintaining an active lifestyle, avoiding movements that aggravate pain help in relieving the scoliosis pain.
- Physiotherapy for sciatica includes stretching, massage and exercise.
- Chiropractic Treatment techniques, including cold therapy, ultrasounds to penetrate deep tissue, and spinal adjustments, can relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Epidural steroid injections to decrease inflammation
- Prescription pain medications
- Physical therapy prescribed by the doctor
- Laminectomy – removal of the vertebral lamina to relieve pressure
- Laminotomy – removal of part of the spine that may be causing pressure
- Microdiscectomy – removal of portions of herniated disc or discs that may be causing sciatica
How Novo Chiropractic Lincoln Can Help In Sciatica
Novo Chiropractic Lincoln is the top chiropractic clinic in Lincoln for Sciatica treatments. Dr. Shane Davidson DC is a highly rated chiropractor in Lincoln and specializes in treating Sciatica.
Contact us today if you are experiencing Sciatica in Lincoln.
Emergency room doctors say that sciatica is one of the most common things they encounter each year in Lincoln. While there are large numbers of people that have this issue, many never achieve a long-term solution. Their sciatic pain continues to worsen because they have not received the correct treatment. This article from Novo Chiropractic Lincoln will help you to understand the in and out of this condition and how chiropractic care can help you overcome it.
Many people wonder what sciatica feels like, and patients often describe the pain of sciatica as a slight discomfort to the most extreme unbearable pain. Sciatic pain can show up in different areas of the leg and foot, and many times the pain will come and go. Over years of time, people tend to go through a period of pains that typically intensify as the problem goes unchecked.
Sciatica In Lincoln
The pelvic and lumbar spine are usually the areas that a sciatic issue will start from. This area of the spine is very complicated, and it can be difficult to locate the problem. Our team will be able to work with you to zero in on the source. From there, they will need to work with you to improve the position of the spine and discs.
Some patients say that all they did was bend over to pick up a piece of paper, and they were hit with extreme pain. They don’t understand how an easy task caused them so much pain. The reality is that their condition was probably developing over years of time, and that piece of paper just happened to be the last straw. Most spinal problems don’t happen overnight; they build up over years of time.
How Long Does It Take To Correct Sciatica?
Treatment length for sciatic pain can vary significantly from patient to patient. Some people respond very quickly, while others take more time to recover. It really depends on the condition of the disc or the joints that the chiropractor has to correct. In most cases, the longer the issue persists, the longer it will take to achieve correction. The great news is that it typically takes less time to fix an issue like this than it took to create it.
In the US, the amount of people that end up with back surgery is staggering, and the low success rate is disappointing. It’s estimated that back surgery is only about 15% effective within a five-year period of time. That’s simply not good enough for you.
If you are serious about turning this problem around, and avoiding surgery, call our team at Novo Chiropractic Lincoln today. We are here to answer any questions you have, and we look forward to meeting you soon.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sciatica Treatment
Some providers cover treatment for sciatica. They may start with less invasive treatment such as medication or therapy before approving more complex options such as surgery. Check with your insurance company to see if sciatica treatment is covered.