Whiplash/Auto Accidents Injury Treatment In Lincoln, NE
Whiplash/Auto Accidents Injury Specialist
Whiplash is the result of a sudden backward to forward motion of the head. Whiplash injuries most commonly occur after auto accidents and generally require chiropractic care for pain relief.
According to Dr. Shane Davidson DC, a leading car accident chiropractor at Novo Chiropractic Lincoln, there may not be any immediate whiplash symptoms. However, do get examined because ignoring whiplash injuries can lead to long-term pain and discomfort. Our chiropractic clinic in Lincoln can help you to understand all about Whiplash’s injury through this article.
What Is A Whiplash Injury?
The neck strain because of a sudden jerk motion is called a whiplash injury. It is the result of the soft neck tissues extending beyond their normal range of motion. Whiplash symptoms may be temporary; however, physical changes occur several months to years after the car accident.
At our Novo Chiropractic Lincoln, the goal of chiropractic care in car accidents is to prevent further complications and provide a permanent solution. It’s better to consult an auto accidents chiropractor for pain relief instead of relying on temporary OTC pain medications.
What Are The Symptoms Of Whiplash/Auto Accident Injury?
There are various symptoms of whiplash to look out for like:
- Neck pain
- Stiffness in the neck
- Neck pain that becomes progressively worse with movement
- Reduced range of motion in neck and shoulders
- Shoulder, arm, or upper back pain or tenderness
- Radiating pain from the neck upward
- Dizziness or lack of coordination
- Numbness in the neck and arms
- Migraine-like headaches or increased frequency of headaches
- Muscles Knots and cervical misalignments
Other Symptoms Although Less Frequent Include
There are a few less common symptoms that can occur as a result of whiplash or car accident injuries:
- Blurred vision in one or both eyes
- Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears
- Irritability or mood swings
- Trouble with concentration
- Difficulty remembering things
- Sleep disturbances including insomnia or inability to stay asleep
- Depression or altered mood
Causes Of Auto Accidents Injury/Whiplash
Sometimes an accident may forcefully push a vehicle in the opposite direction. This sudden impact can lead to the unnatural jerk of its occupants, frequently causing whiplash. As they are unprepared, the motion can lead to muscle damage or tears in the neck and damage the tendons and ligaments in the surrounding regions.
In addition to auto accidents, sporting injuries or other powerful traumas can lead to whiplash injuries.
Long-term Problems Due To Untreated Auto Accident Injury/Whiplash
Ignoring whiplash can result in a variety of long-term chronic conditions that can be debilitating. These include:
- Osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease that wears down the cartilage and causes recurring pain
- Degenerative disc disease, where the cushioning between the vertebrae begins to deteriorate
- Chronic pain in the neck, shoulders, and back that continues to get worse over time
Chiropractic Treatment For Whiplash
Chiropractors provide a variety of treatments for whiplash. Some of the chiropractic care options include:
- Ice packs to relieve pain caused by initial inflammation
- Physical exercise to stretch and strengthen the muscles in the neck and back
- Over-the-counter pain relievers, generally analgesic nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin or ibuprofen
- Muscle relaxers to prevent you from tightening up and further aggravating your condition
- Referral for narcotics/prescription Drugs – These are only used in the most severe cases and only temporarily
- Treatment techniques in Chiropractic care
- Spinal Manipulation
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Muscle relaxation
- Muscle stimulation
- Physical Therapy Techniques
- Stretching Exercises
- Strengthening Exercises
- Posture Improvement
Does Medical Insurance Cover Treatment For Auto Accident Injury/Whiplash?
In general, medical insurance or auto insurance covers whiplash treatment. It is essential to check with the medical insurance provider to ensure that they will provide coverage.
How Novo Chiropractic Lincoln Can Help In Whiplash
At Novo Chiropractic Lincoln, we take every injury seriously, no matter how minor it may appear to be on the surface. Our expert chiropractor, Dr. Shane Davidson DC, is experienced in treating whiplash and will provide a thorough evaluation and best treatment. If you are suffering from whiplash, schedule your consultation today.
Do you have whiplash in Lincoln? Many people experience whiplash injuries each year. Most car accidents in Lincoln are rear-ended collisions, each of which varies in severity. Many of our patients that are involved in rear-end collisions don’t even realize they have received injuries until weeks or months post-impact. Their medical doctors do not always acknowledge injuries that occur at lower speeds, but research today says differently. If you have been injured in an accident, our Lincoln chiropractic clinic can help you understand your options.
To have success with whiplash injury, it’s important to work with a provider that understands the problem. Chiropractors are trained for these types of injuries, so if you have recently been injured, it’s important to get your spine checked as soon as possible. The sooner that you start to care, the less chance you have of developing long-term problems.
Whiplash In Lincoln
Whiplash injuries are a serious matter. The results can be devastating if an injury of this caliber is left untreated. What’s unfortunate is that most people don’t even realize they are injured until long after the accident. By the time many people realize they are in need of help, their problems have escalated to a much greater condition.
Injuries tend to be more significant when your headrest is positioned too low. In the instance where your headrest is positioned too low, it can act as an acceleration point when you are hit from behind. A 5 mph impact can result in your head whipping back at a much higher rate of speed, causing greater injury.
Statistically, significant improvement was noted for 93% of the 28 patients studied in the Woodward study while under chiropractic care. In the research study, chiropractic care consisted of spinal manipulation, PNF, and cryotherapy. Many of the patients were treated prior to the study with NSAIDS, soft colors, and physiotherapy.
Chiropractic care is an effective modality for patients that have been injured in motor vehicle accidents. The study mentioned earlier was able to clearly document the success and experience most chiropractors see in clinical practice. Symptoms ranging from headaches to neck pain, back pain, inter-scapular pain, and related extremity pain with numbness and tingling often respond very well to chiropractic care.
Novo Chiropractic Lincoln has experience helping individuals suffering from symptoms of a whiplash injury. Call today to see if chiropractic care can help you.
Frequently Asked Questions About Whiplash/Auto Accident Injury
- Inflammatory Phase – this happens right after the injuries and lasts for up to 3 days.
- Repair or Regeneration Phase – can last 6 to 8 weeks depending on the severity of the injury
- Remodeling Phase – lasts 12 to 24 months
- Pain in the neck or back
- Stiffness in neck
- Headaches that get worse with time
- Numbness or tingling in the arms, neck, and hands
- Dizziness or confusion
What are the less frequent symptoms that include but are not limited to whiplash/auto car accident injury?Some of the more uncommon symptoms of whiplash include:
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Difficulty concentrating
- Inability to fall asleep or stay asleep
- Loss of appetite