Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment In Lincoln, NE
What Is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is when your hands and fingers hurt and feel numb. People usually treat it with medicine or surgery, but chiropractic care can help without the risks and can make the pain go away for a long time.
The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway in the wrist that contains the median nerve. Sometimes, this nerve can become compressed, causing the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Dr. Shane Davidson DC, a leading chiropractor at Novo Chiropractic Lincoln, suggests that consulting a chiropractor can offer better pain relief than taking pain medication.
Symptoms Of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
People suffering from carpal tunnel generally experience the following symptoms in their hands and fingers:
- Numbness, tingling in fingers
- Weakness or less strength in your hands
- Slower nerve impulses lead to delayed reaction time
- Loss of fine motor skills
- Burning sensation, shocking or stabbing pain
- Radiating pain from the wrist to arm and shoulder blades
- Difficulty holding small objects for an extended period
- Overall clumsiness in motions
- Wrist pain
- Swelling and bony misalignments
Causes Of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Pressure on the median nerve leads to carpal tunnel syndrome. It can be a result of these carpal tunnel causes:
- Repetitive motions involving the wrist and hand, such as typing, writing, or constant gripping
- Other conditions include hypothyroidism, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes
- Repeated injuries to the same hand or wrist
- Genetic factors (children of people with carpal tunnel are more susceptible)
- Changes in hormonal balances
Chiropractic: An Effective Carpal Tunnel Treatment
Many people believe that chiropractors only deal with back issues. However, chiropractors are highly trained professionals who can address problems in various joints in your body, including those in your wrists, hands, and fingers. When you have your first appointment with a chiropractor, they will carefully assess your symptoms and how well you can move, and they will ask about your medical history.
After the evaluation, the chiropractor will create a personalized plan to treat your carpal tunnel syndrome. The primary goal of chiropractic care is not just to temporarily relieve your symptoms but to address the root causes. This plan may involve:
1. Massaging and releasing knots in your muscles if they are contributing to your symptoms.
2. Gently adjusting misaligned vertebrae in your spine to alleviate pressure on the nerve.
3. Making gentle adjustments to your arm, wrist, or hand to reduce pressure on the median nerve.
4. Providing you with therapeutic stretches and exercises to improve wrist function and support the health of the median nerve. They will demonstrate these exercises and stretches and give you guidance on doing them at home.
Chiropractors offer a comprehensive approach to alleviate carpal tunnel symptoms by targeting the underlying issues, not just masking the pain.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Ice baths
- Over-the-counter pain relievers
- Nerve gliding or nerve flossing exercises
- Reduction of repetitive motions that exacerbate the condition
- Spinal and extremity adjustments
- Deep tissue massage
- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Rheumatoid Arthritis