Scoliosis Treatment In Lincoln, NE
Scoliosis is a condition that causes an unusual “S” like the curvature of the spine. Generally, scoliosis manifests before puberty in children, during a growth spurt, but it can occur later in life. It is sometimes associated with pre-existing conditions such as muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy, but most cases of scoliosis do not have a well-known underlying cause. This article on chiropractic care can help you to understand more about Scoliosis.
In Lincoln, if you have scoliosis, contact us today at our Novo Chiropractic Lincoln. Dr. Shane Davidson DC, a well-known scoliosis specialist, can help you manage your condition and provide relief from the symptoms of scoliosis.
What Are The Symptoms Of Scoliosis?
Scoliosis includes a variety of symptoms that may occur individually or together in any combination. These symptoms include:
- Unmanageable pain in the lower back
- Knee or hip pain that makes it difficult to walk
- Pain or numbness in legs, feet, or toes
- Uneven shoulders or waist
- A shoulder blade that protrudes more than the other
- Hips that are not the same height
- A visible curvature in the spine
- Inability to stand up straight
- Difficulty walking
- Lower back hump
- Shortness of breath upon an activity or at rest
Causes Of Scoliosis
It is not always known why scoliosis develops, but there are some common causes for the condition, including:
- In rare cases, neuromuscular conditions muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy might lead to scoliosis
- Physical deformities at birth
- Spinal injuries or infections can increase the risk of scoliosis
- Recurrent muscle spasms around the spine may lead to scoliosis
- A variety of birth defects can increase the likelihood that scoliosis will develop in children
- Unknown causes, which makes up the majority of cases
Types Of Scoliosis
There are two types of structural scoliosis.
- Congenital Scoliosis – This condition develops before a child is even born and is present at birth. School physicals often detect it. In rare cases, surgery is required.
- Acquired Scoliosis – This is also known as habitual scoliosis and is caused by injury or consistent and repetitive motion that causes a curvature in the spine. Acquired scoliosis can be reversed.
Long Term Problems Due To Ignoring Scoliosis
If scoliosis is left untreated, many long-term problems can occur:
- Limited range of motion across the entire body but specifically in the spine
- Herniated discs
- Rarely, lung and heart damage due to rib cage constantly putting pressure on the organs
- Chronic back pain
- Lowered self-esteem due to abnormal physical appearance
Temporary Pain Relief
Temporary pain relief can be provided by:
- Ice packs applied to the affected area
- OTC Painkillers such as ibuprofen or aspirin
- Prescription painkillers for severe pain
- Exercises to stretch and strengthen back muscles
- Spinal injections of steroids or anesthetics
- Back braces
Does Medical Insurance Cover Scoliosis Treatment?
Every insurance plan is different, but there is a good chance that your medical insurance will cover your scoliosis treatment. Check with your provider to ensure that you will be covered and doctors are within your network.
Scoliosis Treatment In Lincoln, NE
If you are seeking scoliosis treatment, there are several options, including non-surgical treatment to relieve the symptoms of scoliosis. Some of these include:
- Chiropractic treatment:
- Spinal adjustments/manipulations
- Deep tissue massage
- Physical exercise
- Physical therapy
- Stretches that loosen the muscles around the spine
- Strengthening exercises such as lifting
- Posture exercises
- Yoga for whole-body and breathing solutions
- Surgical Options (Last resort)
- Bone grafting – taking bone from the patient’s hip or from a cadaver and grafting it to help promote faster healing in the affected vertebrae
- Spinal fusion – vertebrae are realigned and fused together to reduce or eliminate the curve in the spine
- Spinal reconstruction
- Spinal decompression surgery
How Can Novo Chiropractic Lincoln Clinic Help In Scoliosis
If you are looking for scoliosis treatment, our chiropractic experts are standing by. We take a measured approach towards every case and create a personalized plan to treat scoliosis in every patient.
Depending on the severity of your condition, you may be asking yourself, “Is scoliosis surgery worth it?” Our doctor will be happy to consult with you and provide you with all the answers you need to determine if a non-surgery is right for you. We will offer various services and treatments to help alleviate your pain and fix the spine deformities you might have.
Contact us today if you are experiencing Scoliosis in Lincoln.
A number of people suffer from scoliosis in Lincoln. Typically, scoliosis begins as a minor bend in the spine that gradually progresses. In fact, for the diagnosis of scoliosis to be made, there must be a minimum 60 degree sideways curve of the spine. Once the spine has advanced to this stage, there are often severe health consequences. The good news is that if the bending of the spine is discovered and cared for properly during its early stages, it can be prevented from advancing over time. This article discusses how chiropractic care can help.
Many ideas regarding the cause of scoliosis have been researched, and there has been little consensus regarding its origin. However, studies have shown that scoliosis is more likely to occur in young adolescent females. Many times a small bend in the spine begins with the simple misalignment of a single vertebra. Over time, the body begins to compensate for this abnormality, and “S” and “C” shaped curves of the spine develop. Often parents and children first notice the presence of scoliosis due to the un-leveling of the shoulders and pelvis. Unlike other spinal conditions, scoliosis cannot be reversed by changes in posture.
While many cases of scoliosis affect the younger population, it is important to realize that the condition can also develop in older adults. As people age, degenerative disorders such as osteoporosis cause the bones in the spine to lose their normal shape. As a result, the body begins to compensate by producing lateral curves in the spine to ensure that the head remains level. In such cases, if the cause of the bending is not addressed, severe consequences, including heart and lung problems, may develop.
An x-ray examination performed by your treating physician is the most effective means of detecting scoliosis. However, various orthopedic examinations such as the Adams position test can assist in the diagnosis. Our chiropractors at Novo Chiropractic Lincoln will also examine the hips and shoulders for un-leveling and also check the legs for variation in length, which can be a clue to the development of scoliosis. Finally, with years of experience, our Novo Chiropractic Lincoln doctors have become proficient at identifying the presence of scoliosis by evaluating the range of motion in the spine.
Scoliosis In Lincoln
As with any condition, a person should always consider the most conservative approach to treatment first. Chiropractic care has been demonstrated in numerous research studies to stop the progression of scoliosis and, in many instances, reverse the condition once present. Our doctors at Novo Chiropractic Lincoln have the resources and experience to provide you with the most appropriate care and, as a result, eliminate the need for more invasive and aggressive treatments. To accomplish this, our office will perform a full health history to identify any factors that could be contributing to the presence of scoliosis. Often occupational factors, lifestyle habits, previous traumas, and recreational activities are at the roots of the problem.
After these factors have been considered, our chiropractors will perform specific spinal adjustments to reverse the body’s compensations and assist in the restoration process. If you have any questions regarding scoliosis or chiropractic care, please call Novo Chiropractic Lincoln to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.